Welcome to Northside Melanoma & Sarcoma Specialists of Georgia. Our mission is to provide you with the best possible care and treatment for your cancer. Our physicians, Dr. Jonathan Lee and Dr. Scott Davidson, are both fellowship trained surgical oncologists. Dr. Lee and Dr. Davidson focus on melanoma, other unusual skin malignancies, and sarcomas.
We are part of the Melanoma & Sarcoma Program at the Northside Hospital Cancer Institute, one of the largest and most respected providers of comprehensive cancer care in the Southeast. Being a part of this full-spectrum, multi-disciplinary program means that you, the patient, benefit tremendously from the combined expertise of numerous medical subspecialists and have access to promising clinical trials. Patient care is delivered in an integrated, multi-disciplinary fashion, meaning specialists work together to provide the most comprehensive and individually tailored treatment plan for each patient. There is a strong emphasis on excellent care, as well as patient education, support services, and counseling.
What is a Surgical Oncologist?
Cancer is treated by a number of different specialists, referred to as oncologists. There are three different types of oncologists: medical oncologists, surgical oncologists, and radiation oncologists. A surgical oncologist has completed a two or three-year fellowship following his or her general surgical training and specializes in the surgical management of cancer. This expertise is applied in the surgical management of highly complex cancer surgeries, such as melanoma and sarcoma surgery, and is always based on current literature and evidence-based medicine. A surgical oncologist will often specialize in one or more types of cancer in order to provide expert care in that field. Surgical oncologists also work closely with medical and radiation oncologists to coordinate chemotherapy and radiation before and after surgery when applicable, and with a number of other support services to provide comprehensive, patient-specific, cancer care.
As a part of the Northside Hospital Melanoma & Sarcoma Program, our patients have access to the following comprehensive services:
- Thorough and accurate skin screening and evaluation
- Dedicated expertise in pathologic diagnosis of a variety of skin cancers and soft tissue tumors
- Definitive surgical resection of your cancer by our outstanding surgical oncologists
- Lymphatic mapping and sentinel lymph node biopsy, which provide accurate cancer staging
- Comprehensive state-of-the-art plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Advanced forms of radiation therapy which minimize damage to normal surrounding tissues
- Latest systemic therapies, including individually targeted therapy and immunotherapy
- Access to our cancer center, which includes nurse navigation, support groups and services, survivorship and nutrition services