Dr. Kounalakis is a board-certified and fellowship-trained surgical oncologist. She earned her medical degree from Rutgers Medical School (formerly called University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey) in Newark, New Jersey. She remained in New Jersey to complete her surgical residency at Rutgers Medical School in New Brunswick and went on to complete her surgical oncology fellowship at City of Hope Medical Center in Duarte, California.
Prior to joining Northside Melanoma & Sarcoma Specialists of Georgia, Dr. Kounalakis worked at the University of Colorado Medical Center for 10 years, four of which she served as an associate professor of surgery in the division of surgical oncology. Proficient in various surgical procedures to treat different types of malignancies, she specializes in wide local excision of melanoma, sentinel lymph node biopsy, completion lymph node dissections and resection of sarcomas. Her continued research focuses on improving oncologic outcomes in head and neck melanomas.
Dr. Kounalakis is committed to providing patients with the best possible cancer care in alignment with their individual goals and needs.
In her free time, she loves spending time outdoors hiking, cycling and skiing with her husband and son.
- Surgical Oncologist, Northside Melanoma & Sarcoma Specialists of Georgia
- Medical Director, Northside Hospital Cancer Institute, Melanoma and Sarcoma Programs
Education and Training
- Fellowship, Surgical Oncology, City of Hope Medical Center, Duarte, CA
- Residency, Surgery, Rutgers Medical School-New Brunswick, NJ
- MD, Rutgers Medical School-Newark, NJ
- BA, Barnard College, New York, NY
Certifications and Memberships
- Board Certified, American Board of Surgery
- Member, Society of Surgical Oncology
- Member, Society of Surgical Oncology, Melanoma Disease Site Work Group
- Member, American College of Surgeons